When it comes to building renovations and construction, you cannot be too careful. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Organization (OSHA) nearly 1,000 people died in construction related accidents in 2016. The majority of those were from falls, but many deaths were also caused by electrocution, being struck by an object and equipment malfunctions. If you are doing building renovations, there are a few simple but vital safety procedures and protocol that you should follow to minimize the risk of getting hurt.
Protect your head and your eyes. Wearing proper headgear and eye protection while doing any kind of construction or renovation work is absolutely necessary. One blow to the head from a falling object can be fatal. When working with certain machinery there is a chance that dust, electrical sparks, and/or flying particles can affect your eyes. Be sure that your face shield or eye protection fits correctly, and always inspect your protective headgear to make sure it is in good working condition.
Protect your hands and feet. When the renovation process calls for it, be sure to wear proper footwear and gloves to keep your feet and hands from being injured on the job. Shoes or boots should be slip resistant and not easily punctured. Gloves should be worn according to the renovation job you are doing. You may need electrical gloves, welding gloves or rubber gloves depending on the project.
Properly secure yourself when heights are involved. Be sure to follow manufacture guidelines for ladder safety. If you are using scaffolding, it needs to be on a level surface and never attempt to move it while others are on it.
Don’t risk getting shocked. When it comes to electrical safety during the renovation process, you have to be vigilant. For starters, turn off any source of power to electrical outlets. Do not let anyone do electrical work until the power is off and grounds are attached. Also, do not allow any ladders, scaffolding or electrical equipment to come within ten feet of power lines. If you notice any frayed or damaged wiring, replace it immediately.